Here is how to fix the Windows 11, XBOX Game Pass 0x80070490 error. The one that stops you from downloading games. Here is the way to fix the error in 16 easy steps! Before I continue let me note of two places that explain how the fix works, and how to fix it with their methods. I am just providing an alternate tutorial.
- Youtube Video Link, jump to 6:43: https://youtu.be/yidWdy-Xwdk?t=403
- Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePass/comments/15vmjhz/i_need_help_error_code_0x80070490_please_help/
Continue on to see my very own tutorial:
- First visit the Microsoft website to download the Media Creation Tool, that creates a Windows 11 ISO file. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
2. Scroll down and click on ‘Create Windows 11 Installation Media’ as seen in the following picture:
3. Once the ISO is finished downloading, right click the Windows11.ISO and click ‘Mount’
4. Then click This PC, and there will be a drive with the Windows11 ISO file mounted, it should look like this.
5. Open the drive and run setup.exe
6. Click Change how Setup downloads updates
7. Click the ‘Not right now’ button and then click the ‘Next’ Button
8. It will then check your PC, this may take a few minutes.
9. Click the ‘Next’ Button
10. It will say ‘Making sure you’re ready to install’
11. A few more minutes is needed for this part to complete.
12. Click ‘Change what to keep’
13. In the Choose what to keep screen, click the ‘Keep personal files and apps’ button.
14. Click the ‘Next’ button.
15. The ‘Ready to Install’ screen will now appear.
16. Click the ‘Install’ button and you are golden!
Windows 11 will now reinstall just the files it needs to, and your XBOX Game Pass app should now be fixed, note* if you are still getting errors make sure you have enough disk space to install the game, or check the error details to see if a different error comes up.
Thanks for reading!